Family Legacy



May 9, 2015

My big brother went away today, 
and the world became
heavier… darker… scarier. 
I thought I had long ago outgrown needing a big brother
to make me feel safe…
but I was wrong.

I wish I had known
his pain… his despair… his hopelessness.
I wish I had listened to the inner voice saying,  
"Find him.
Even if he has been hiding for years, find him. 
He needs you."
But in truth,
would it have made any difference?

Now my big brother is gone... 
but he is changed and healed.
Now he is whole and renewed and pain-free,
Now his mind is clear and at peace.

I am not healed.
My mind is not clear or at peace.
I want to know why,
so many years ago,
my mother chose to die,
and today,
my brother chose to die.
Is this a family tradition ~
this overwhelm with living that leads to dying?
Is it a ritual that I am expected to pass along?

I refuse.
IT ENDS WITH ME.
No matter what it takes
IT ENDS WITH ME.
No matter how hard,
how deeply enticing,
how monumentally unfair,
how exhausting and mind annihilating
IT ENDS WITH ME.

This is my vow.
I will not pass this legacy on to those I love the most.
IT ENDS WITH ME.

If there are such things as 
gods,
or angels,
or enlightened spirits, 
and if you are listening,
please do not let me forget this vow.
No matter what… do not let me ever forget.
                                                                                                                                    


Rick,
I don't understand your choice to leave, but I do know that you did exactly what you thought you had to do at the time. I will get over my hurt and anger... and will always love you, no matter what.  Thank you for teaching me to not throw a baseball like a girl, for showing me how to shoot jump shots and free throws from the top of the key - for educating me in the proper way to shoot an 8 ball into the corner pocket without scratching - and for forcing me to listen to the Beatles until I finally fell in love with them.  Enjoy the next leg of your journey Big Brother - and make it the greatest adventure yet!

2 comments:

Daniel Nahmod said...

A painful loss, a beautiful tribute, and a powerful commitment, Lori. This is a post that will change - and maybe save - lives. Your words may ultimately prove to be one of your brother's greatest legacies.

Lori said...


Daniel - I just now saw this comment - which was the day before my surgery (I was a little preoccupied). I don't know if you will see this response - but I was extremely touched by your comment. Thank you for reading and responding - and may your words become truth!

The Undissolved Bather Speaks

    2-18-06   This blog used to be filled with my writings - but somewhere - over years of being ignored, it's contents disappeared. ...